Here in southeastern Wisconsin we’ve been blessed with an extended season of autumn color. Unfortunately, as it now comes to an end and we prepare for winter, we have those messy leaves to clean from our house gutters.
And cleaning gutters means climbing ladders.
Before you climb, take a few minutes to brush up on ladder safety. Our reinsurance company, Grinnell Mutual, offers several tips to reduce your chances of falling from a ladder.
- Inspect the ladder. Before using a ladder, inspect it to confirm it is in good working condition.
- Secure the ladder. Place the ladder on level ground and make sure the contact points—floor, wall, etc.— are not slippery.
- Follow the three point-of-contact rule. When climbing, keep two hands and a foot (or two feet and a hand) on the rungs or side rails.
- Stay off of the top. Always stay off the top two steps and platform of a step ladder.
- Do not overreach the ladder. The user should keep his or her bellybutton between the side rails.
If you have any questions about maintaining your home for the upcoming winter, give Forward Mutual a call at 920-261-6616. Our friendly staff is here to help!